Derwin is an avid bass angler, which, with reading, provides the necessary relaxation from the seriousness of law.
CALLED TO THE BAR: (ONTARIO) 1993
Areas of Practice: Banking and Corporate Finance, Corporate and Commercial, Franchising and Licensing, Commercial Leasing, Intellectual Property
"I take the time to 'connect' with my client, to ensure we communicate clearly. I take the time to learn how their business works. Listen, listen again, understand, act; in that order. Legal theory is one thing, but it's the practical effective application to resolve an issue that is the real test of legal skill."
"Look at an issue from every conceivable angle. Research, investigate until you have a clear understanding. Anything less could be a set up for possible failure. Your solution may not address the entire scope of the problem. That key problem-solving insight might elude you."
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) University of Victoria, 1991
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm.)
- University of Toronto, 1987
- Authored and co-authored numerous articles for the Canadian Franchise Association Franchising and Distribution Newsletter, Continental Franchise Review, and Foodservices & Hospitality Magazine on a variety of franchise related topics. Author of Morrison Brown Sosnovitch Newsletter "Franchise News"
- Acquiring a Franchise: The Agreements
- Acquiring a Franchise: Preliminary Considerations
- Certain Legal and Accounting Fees
- Acquiring a Franchise: Purchasing a New Location
- Acquiring a Franchise: Purchasing an Existing Location
- The Choice of Jurisdiction of Incorporation
- Acquiring a Franchise: Fundamentals for Success
- Pre-Authorized Debit Agreements
- Franchise Disclosure: Top 10 Mistakes
- Franchise Disclosure 101: A Primer
- The HST Cometh
- Franchise Disclosure: To be or not to be, that is the question
- Franchise Disclosure: To be or not to be, that is the question The Sequel…
- Disclosure: Better Late than Never
- Your Disclosure Document: A Living Document
- Manitoba Proposes New Franchise Legislation
- Bill 102 – Proposal to Amend the Arthur Wishart Act (Franchise Disclosure), 2000
- Controlling the Tweet: What’s a Franchisor to do?
MEMBERSHIPS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Law Society of Upper Canada Ontario Bar Association, Joint Subcommittee on Franchising
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Canadian Franchise Association, Legal & Legislative Affairs Committee
- Counsel, Mississauga Board of Chinese Professionals & Businesses
- Counsel, Smile China Project